I may have missed Talk Like Shakespeare Day by a couple of weeks, but it’s never really too late to celebrate the Bard!
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel officially proclaimed April 23rd 2013 “Talk Like Shakespeare Day” in honour of the man’s 449th birthday. Some guidelines for celebrating the day include:
1. Instead of you, say thou or thee (and instead of y’all, say ye).
2. Rhymed couplets are all the rage.
3. Men are Sirrah, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
4. Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms orpoisonous bunch-back’d toads.
5. Don’t waste time saying “it,” just use the letter “t” (’tis, t’will, I’ll do’t).
(Source: Talk Like Shakespeare)
Tell me: did you celebrate Talk Like Shakespeare Day? Or do you need to brush up on your skills by taking English classes in Washington?